River City 10-Miler

This weekend I viewed a race from a new perspective, that from the finish line. Teresa, Kayla and I volunteered at the River City 10-Miler, a resurrected race from years past with a new course. Wow, what a difference. A small field of runners (800) made there way in the rain and drizzle from Northcross Mall down to Auditorium Shores.

Somehow I got put on chip retrieval. I was the last retriever in the chute, which meant if they ran past me with their $30 chip, I was to tackle them and forcefully remove the chip fro their shoe. Of course, as luck would have it the first person across the finish line was allowed to pass through eight retrievers without so much as a glance. I guess they thought since he won he could do what he wanted. I followed him until he stopped walking, got him a chair and he removed the chip himself. He was gracious and not out of breath, just finished running ten miles in 45 minutes in the rain and heavy humidity. After that one miss, the retrievers didn't allow another runner to get out of the chute.

Although most of my time was spent looking at their shoes, I also took some time to evaluate the effort of the runners, as they crossed the line. Only two or three seemed like they were about to puke. Most had run within their training. A few had their legs taped from the ankle up to the thigh. I asked one runner if the tape was for shin splints. She said it was for a blown out knee. Wow, running with a blown out knee is determination. I have a slight twinge in the left knee right now and I held off from running the event. Hmmmm.

Runtex Race Review Race Day Photos

With the rains lingereing all day, I made my way to Bowie's track for a slow run inbetween showers. Running strickly by heart rate at 136, I covered five miles before sunset and then did an extended core workout.

tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home