Fish and Frogs Don't Mix

This week I was focused on 70-minute sessions of running, cycling and swimming, along with a long session or two. I wasn't going to swim until the sun went down, like yesterday's run. One, I'm not capable and two, didn't need to. Rather, today's swim was just to get to 70 minutes.

The water was warm and there was a free lane available. With thirty minutes to go a guy asked to join the rotation with my new swim coach, AKA Da Fish. We both agreed and he entered the lane. OMG, he's not swimming freestyle, he's uh, swimming, paddling, kicking more like a frog. This wasn't a dog paddle. It was the frog. Not a frog that swims underwater, but one that always keeps his head above water.

Most swimmers will allow others to join the rotation. Sometimes there's discussion whether to swim side-to-side or to rotate counter clockwise. Sometimes, there's even discussion on speed, but for the most part, swimmers let others join freely.

The frog made his way down the lane, well like...a frog, obviously kicking into both sides of the lane. Da Fish and I went around him best we could and still maintained the workout. I didn't mind the occasional kick in the ribs or arm as that happens in the triathlon swim, hundreds of swimmers and an occasional frog jockeying for position. At some point the frog got irritated and moved to another lane. The frog swam with his head above water at all times, thus taking in water whenever Da Fish or myself went by.

Da Coach Fish pointed some things out that I need to work on. I spent the last ten minutes of the swim doing drills that seemed to get me swimming more like a fish and less like an eel. He also loaned me his buoyancy assistance device (floaty) that elevates the back end of the body. I need to get me one. It really helped my form.

I'm not yet a fish, but I'm certainly not a frog. Maybe still part eel, part fish.

tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home