Change of Plans

This week has been spent reading. First, my tendons needed some extra time to get back to normal. I didn't want to push them back into training and incur an injury that had me out for a month. Then I'd really have a lot of time to read. Second, my efforts in the 20-miler and the marathon left me feeling something in the training plans weren't correct. The 3M Half Marathon was great. I felt great and felt I gave it a good effort. Anything over 13 miles was distastrous. Granted there was a 20-30mph wind during the 20-miler and I caught the flu ten days before the marathon but even with those obstacles, there should have been better times. From what I've been reading, when there's a discrepancy between the half-marathon and the full, it would normally point to the mileage. Not enough miles.

Looking at my training schedule that would be accurate. I only got to a maximum of 37 miles-per-week before I caught the flu. I based the schedule on not getting injured. I accomplished that goal but failed at the other, which was to achieve a decent time. I mixed in two types of intervals, hills, weights, and tempo runs. I did everything but get in the miles at the start of the program.

I can also look at where my heart rate was for the marathon and see I was utilizing primarily carbohydrates for my fuel. I was runing high in the anaerobic region for all of the race, except when I walked and by then, the damage had been done. My 168 HR put me at 90% of my maximum HR. So lesson learned. Instead of planning my triathlon training, I'm back at the drawing board figuring out a better plan for the marathon. Yes, I know I said never again. I know I said half-marathons are better races, i.e. half the distance and twice as much fun. But I have unfinished business here. Until I can run a comfortable marathon with a decent time, I'll constantly be wondering "what if". That's why the bike's handlebar still isn't taped. That's why my floor at home is strewn with running articles Googled with every coach's plan to run a successful marathon and their training methods.

It'll take some more time to see how the schedule will play out. Until then, I know I need to build on the aerobic base that's there. Long slow runs for the next couple of months. I'll still be working for the triathlon races, which will include long slow swims and long slow bike work. Mileage up, intensity down.

I think I bought into a couple of the plans that said I could complete a marathon even though I have lack of time. Fulltime job, kids, home, etc., all make for less time. Rather than state the runner should bag any idea of running a marathon without pain or a possible DNF, the adjust the plan so it seems it can be accomplished. Less miles but more intense miles, or intense miles then walk a little. Well I stepped in that pile of doodoo once. I'm now off find the right mix of miles.

I'm reading as much as I can get my hands on from the following coaches, so if you have any advice for what worked or didn't, please feel free to share.

Currently reading and absorbing;

1 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger hunter said...

We are a similar kind. I like to read as much as possible for running. There is another book, Better Training for Distance Runners, by Martin and Coe, a good read too. After reading JD/HH/GM (website)/TN/PP/AL, I personally believe AL is the most logical way. If you go to my blog you would find some links to the threads on letsrun forum regarding AL/JD and others, and you can read to see AL's training principle embraces others', but mixing all those workouts in a way that will bring the best out of you. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home