Running Guru of the Southwest

Last night called for an easy five miles. Da Fish and I ran an easy five at the Lady Bird Lake trail before I headed down to train my Seton/Runtex University runners. The workout called for intervals @ 85%. I was hesitant as I'd already done a speed workout the day before trying to keep up with Da Fish who through the smackdown that he completed the five miles doing sub-eight-minute-miles. I had no way of knowing whether he did or not but that didn't matter. Whether he did or not he was more than capable and I had to meet it. 38:38 which came out to 7:43 per mile.

So my legs were a little sore from the night before and I then had an interval workout @ 85%. 10 x 250 meters with 50 meter light jog between each one. I took off running with the Running Guru of the Southwest to what seemed like a little faster than my speed workout pace the night before. I flipped on the HR monitor to check out the output and WHOA!

Me: "My HRM says I'm clicking off 180. Last night I did 7:43 miles at 171 HR so we must be at 7:30 or 7:15 now."

RGSW: "Oh, this seems faster than 7:15 pace."

I didn't know if I'd bust a lung, puke or just pass out at that point. I kept working in my head the maximum heart rate formula of 220-age=max HR, which is bogus, and really had no bearing on reality.

I realized at that point that I needed to go to the next level of training. That I'd held back a little not really knowing what my max HR was and tended to hold back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home