Tri Season is Closed, Run Season is Open

I took a couple of weeks to reflect on the 2007 triathlon season. It didn't start out that well with a cancellation of the CapTexTri but beat expectations with two great triathlons; the Austin Tri and the Longhorn Half Iron. I especially reflected on what worked and didn't work, making notes for next season.

Last week I started training for a marathon, but without much of a plan. I got in a speed workout, a tempo workout and a long run but hadn't planned on much of anything else. So this past weekend I put pencil to paper and sketched out the workouts for the next 17 weeks leading up to the AT&T Austin Marathon on Feb. 17, 2008. Surprisingly, it came out looking a lot like Amby Burfoot's Intermediate Schedule located in his book, Runner's World Complete Book of Running. The mileage will climb to a max of 55 miles per week on Dec. 31, and then coast into the 3M Half Marathon, one last long run of 20 miles and then it's tapering up to Feb. 17. I'll post the exact numbers later today.

Strength work in the gym worked well last year and definitely improved my times so I'm going to repeat it. Swim and bike workouts will be kept to a minimum in the next month. I'm tired of both and need a break. I'll add some more cycling as soon as it feels right.

Not even a week into the weight room routine I had to switch to the strawberry-flavored whey protein, as compared to the chocolate or vanilla flavors. I mixed it with some water and bluebrry/cranberry juice and some creatine and it wasn't bad.

This year, I'm involved with planning some of the marathon logistics so I hope to be able to run it and not be on a walkie talkie. I'm training as if I'm running the thing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home