ATT Austin Half Marathon - Race Report

It was close but this race has become my favorite running race so far. It took a lot to unseat the 3M half marathon from last year but this year's AT&T Austin Half Marathon did it. I had a total blast before, during and after the race.

Before the race I got a chance to work on some articles for GoodHealth.com that increased my interest in the race but after last year's disasterous full marathon, I wasn't too psyched for this one. I wasn't running the full 26.2 miles and only going 13.1, but I couldn't get the motivation going. I hadn't really trained, running less than 15 miles per week and cycling most of the time on the trainer or lifting weights. My weight was up and I had lost quite a bit of aerobic fitness since October. I had only one goal at this point and that was to have fun. Actually, I had another goal and that was to run with Sydney and Da Fish. Da Fish got the flu the week before the race so he bowed out at the last minute.

The Expo proved to be enjoyable, except for the long line to pick up the packet. Last year they had good deals on running wearables and this year was true as well. I haven't been a big fan of my current running tights so I picked up another pair, a new top and something to cover the ears. Cha Ching! $100 left on the table.

Pre-event meals and prep went like clockwork. I rose without an alarm at 2:04 a.m. to drink my Boost drink. I had everything else ready and was out the door and over to Sydney's at 5:00 a.m. Her husband dropped us off as close as he could in the 30-degree cold, dark downtown morning. Drop off post-race clothing, a banner for work, and it was off for the ritual to empty the bladder.

By the time we got to the bridge for the start we were way in the back of the 12,000 racers. I spotted and 4:45 pace sign and made my way towards it. Like sardines packed in a can, we finally got compressed enough that there was no more forward movement. This seemed like a good seeding. It might have been a little slow but I felt we could always move forward. About that time the fireworks went off. It was a little unusual to see them in the morning, in the light. It was a nice touch though. It could've been disasterous if a breeze had been out of the north and had carried the smoke into the running crowd.

For the most part the race went, I won't say according to plan, as there wasn't a plan, but it went as I wished for. The first couple of miles were slow, the next eight were at a constant pace and the last two were fast. No issues with water, the one gel I swallowed, or clothing. The new tights were great, as was the rest of the stuff. I did at the last minute decide to wear the pair of Brooks, although they put big, fat blisters on my feet the last eight-mile run I ran with them. That last run must've broken them in a bit because they were great during the race. Come to think of it, the Asics did the same thing on a 20-mile run and then were my fave shoes from then on. I guess for me, the only way to break them in is to take them on a long run, no matter how many miles they were walked in.

There were more hills in this race and the downhills hurt worse than the uphills. Even today, I have some Tiger Balm on the quads. As the half marathoners split at the ten-mile mark with the full marathoners, I felt a great relief that I wasn't with the 26.2-mile group. The thoughts of the back pain, the quad and calf pain were ever present which then transferred into elation for having not to repeat that ordeal.

For some reason the heart rate monitor had a rough time getting started. Every time I brought the thing to my chest to change the time to heart beats, my other watch was hit on the lap button. This screwed up my first few splits. Eventually, I gave up and looked at the overall time, along with some good splits. Nah, the race was more for having a good time and not worrying about PRs or good splits. High fives with the kids, saying hi to the people that came out to cheer, yelling at the bands...that's what this race was about.

Sydney was like a clock. 10:34, 10:31, 10:44 for all of the middle miles. I asked her as we approached the capitol whether she wanted to speed up or slow down. She said the pace was good at 10:xx. Right after that moment, it seemed the pace picked up or people were slowing down. Mile 12 clocked in at 8:46. Yes, Sydney had picked up the pace and then some. As we approached Congress for the home stretch, people were lined up along the route. The first marathoners were coming in on the left. We were on the right. Sydney picked it up and started sprinting full speed towards the finish. I was right on her heels. We crossed the line and picked up our medals, a bottle of water and a bottle of Powerade. Great weather, great race organization, a great expo, great volunteers, great people to cheer and the list goes on and on. This race is my new favorite running race.

  • number of HM finishers: 5133
  • number of HM females: 3005
  • number of HM males: 2128
  • average HM time: 02:17:24
  • my HM time: 2:17:17
  • fun factor: 100%

Post race I chilled with Da Fish and his brother at the lake. Some of the Runner's World folks were in town, so we all grabbed burgers and beer on the deck of the lake. What a way to chill after the race. I had no problem downing fries and onion rings after running 13.1 miles.

tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2/20/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger LoneStarCrank said...

Always nice to "enjoy" a race and take it all in. The hills were great and I have to admit, I was a bit envious of the Half Marathoners making that right turn onto Windsor...especially after hitting the next mile of hills.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home