Two Tanks, Both Empty

The last couple of months have been about lifting and cycling. A couple of runs, one of which was a half marathon and the legs, although not at all back in form, felt ok. So it was with great surprise that I ran to the Bowie High School track to put in a few easy miles and the legs felt like crap. Not just crap but holy $h!t what's going on?, kind of crap. Not cramps, not pain but each of them felt like they weighed 250 pounds a piece. Lifting felt awkward. Landing felt awkward. I had just run a half the week before. I had just run seven miles yesterday and everything was fine. The only thing I can think of was my nutrition was off right after the seven mile run. Like my legs said no to what I fed them after the run. It was 2 scoops of Gatorade and a pastromi sandwich on rye. What the hell?

When I go through a workout, it seems like there are two gas tanks. Just when I feel I'm drained and can't go any further, I'll push for a few more minutes and then the reserve tank kicks in and I have renewed energy. The run at the track had both tanks empty. That's only happened one other time and just so happened it was about the same time last year. It may not be food related at all but rather more sinus infection as I'm congested with cedar fever.

Iron Wil talks about the first ten minutes of anything sucks. Seen as she and the upper midwest are at 12 degrees right now, I'd say the next ten hours of anything would suck. The run at the track sucked for the first ten minutes and then the next. I now have a rule that if the second ten minutes suck, then I'm moving on to another type of training. That's the great thing about triathlon, if runing sucks, you still have swimming and cycling. It ended up that cycling was the winner. I got on the bike and everything felt fine.

I rode b.O.b. and he only threw the chain once. Not bad. Today's the last of the 70° days for this week but it's nice to get one in February every now and then.

Tonite starts another coaching session with Runtex and Seton. We have 26 people signed up so it should be a little more work than last time. We're getting these folks ready to run their first 5K or 10K race, April 28.

tags: , , , ,

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home