Schedule Adjustments

The summer is so much easier to build a schedule around. In Austin it's hot, hot and more hot June through September. The only thing to adjust is whether to run in the morning, when it's cool, or wear next to nothing and run in the afternoon. Though, most of my runs last summer were in the evening when the temperature had dipped below 90 degrees.

Late fall and early winter have thrown a monkeywrench into my plan. This weekend the temps will get into the seventies, with the mornings in the thirties. A couple of weeks ago I decided to cash in on a free one week at the gym. This was great for the one or two ice days we had, but I noticed that I'd need something that lasted for more than a week. The last two weeks I've been working out at a neighborhood gym. Nothing fancy, a couple of treadmills, an elliptical, some free weights and a couple of other machines. This has added so much variety to my training, that now I have to rework my training schedule from now until the Freescale Marathon.

I went out to Town Lake with a co-worker last Monday. We had planned for a single loop around at 4.5 miles and I let him pick the pace. He started out at my 5K pace and never let up. By mile three I let him keep going and I slowed it up a bit. My heart rate at the point we split was 94% max. It was a good speed workout and one I needed to work on as I needed to expand my lactate threshold. My areobic threshold has been pretty good, so a speed workout once a week should only be beneficial.

In other areas, my waking heart rate has decreased to an range of 47 - 52, from 57 - 60. In September and October it hovered around 67. My weight is teetering at 160.5 this week. it's been 161 for the last couple of weeks. As I add more mileage in the next couple of weeks it should drop to the target of 154 by race day in February. The weight is definitely being redistributed as I got into a pair of 32-inch waste pants yesterday. It's about time to update the measurements.

tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home