Decker Challenge 20K

Each race is different. There are so many variables that can change the way the race day unfolds. How I prep for the race, what I eat, weather conditions, race route, what I eat or drink during the race and what I wear. I don't have the extensive track record to have a routine. I suppose you could after one race, but I'm still learning what works and what doesn't with all the variables. I can't change the weather or the race route, but I can change just about everything else.

After the last race, and having to stretch in the cold, I decided to stretch in the back of the SUV by putting the backseat down. Today's race had planned on runners being able to use the warm Expo Center to stretch and potty, but not knowing what would be the situation for the next race, I decided to try this out.

Using the back of the Rodeo for pre-race stretching was great. It was warm and provided more than enough room to work all the kinks out. I jogged around the parking lot to warm up before and after the stretch. A yoga mat provided just enough cushion.
By having enough time to stretch I was able to stave off my shin tightening up. One thought was that it occurred in the last race due to inadequate stretching. Another though, places it on my form and my left foot slapping the pavement. This could have been caused by my hyperextending my hip flexor and the left foot was compensating for something different in the way I was running with my right hip. I had done a couple of track workouts this week and tried to concentrate on a smooth motion. In either case the shin was not a problem this weekend.

On the way to the race, it was nice to see the University of Texas tower all lit up in orange in honor of the Big-12 Championship game yesterday. I pulled into campus to have some of that orange mojo rub off on me today.
My pre-race meal consisted of an Emergen-C, yogurt, oatmeal with blueberries and a cup of coffee. It seemed to hold up ok throughout the race. I did change my race meal the night before and had fish tacos instead of the traditional spaghetti with tomatoes and basil. I don't think I banked enough carbs to help me out in the last part of the race.

The Austin Runner's Club, organizers of this week's race, provided a very nice long sleeve, tech-fabric shirt in the race packet. I decided to wear it as it looked like it would protect against the wind. It did seem to help and was comfortable during the race. Not too hot and not too porous to allow the wind through. Other components of the race gear included my Bianchi bicycle hat, shades, MP3 player, electrolyte gel and my new cheap camera that outputs to 640 x 480. Not too flashy, but enough resolution for day shots during the race. I decided to leave off the list the wash cloth, as it was chilly and I wouldn't sweat profusely, the water bottle and the small bottle for the gel mixture. Organizers had planned sports drinks every two miles so there was no need for it.

In my last race, the MP3 player was a hassle and took three attempts to wake up. I replaced it with a SanDisk Sansa 512MB player which woke up today on the first attempt and kept playing throughout the race.


The race went pretty well, given the 15-20 mph winds and small hills that kept coming, even to the end. And by the way, hills provide a challenge and are ok to add a few. Hills in the last half mile of the race are just mean. I'm whining because I hit the wall at the tenth mile. Everything was going great to that point. The first half of the race I was at a PR for the first 10K, 53:44.3 with an 8:40 m/m pace. I felt good, the hills didn't escalate my heart rate to the max, and I was still able to walk the water stops.

Early on the wind was too much, so many of the 1300 runners were drafting off the big guys running the course. Anyone 6'2" and over 180 pounds was a good candidate. We were all trying to get out of the wind and I was thinking I needed to pick up a pace bunny earlier in the race to get under the 9:00 pace. A couple came by, one was a guy in my age bracket that ran a little faster than I on most of the previous races. He also walks the water stops so as he passed I followed along. He and I, plus one other woman in our age bracket were trading back and forth throughout the first eight miles of the race, and then something happened at mile ten.

I normally take my gel at mile seven and for some reason, thinking I was running fine, I postponed the intake of the gell. I took a little water and sports drink at each stop and while my stomach wasn't sloshing, there was something funny going on. No side stitches by a pulling like my body was wanting something it didn't have. At mile ten, my legs turned to concrete and I watched as the pace bunnies went on. Over one hundred people I had passed, caught up to me between mile ten and the finish of the race. My pace had slowed from 8:40 m/m to 9:48 m/m. There was nothing I could do to turn on the afterburners. There were no afterburners. My kick, which is normally there for the last mile lasted 100 yards.

--1st 10K--                 
Place Rnk    Time      Pace    
641   513    53:44.3 8:40/M   
    
--2nd 10K--
         Rnk    Time      Pace    
         743 1:00:47.7 9:48/M

--Overall--
Gun Time:  1:55:55.2
Chip Time: 1:54:32.0
Diff.: 1:23.2
Pace: 9:14/M

Even though I bonked at mile ten, I felt good with the results. My overall pace evened out to what it should be and I can work on getting out of the gate and having some energy stored for the last bit. I'll need it as the next race is a 20-miler. I think I'll go back to running based how I feel for the first half and picking up pace bunnies towards the end.

Runtex Review of the Race

Slideshow

Distance Challenge Standing
Place       Chip Time   Points  Age Group 
362         6:35:04            3522   40-44

tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home