160.5

My weight has been hovering at 160.5 pounds for three or four weeks now. It's still there today, two days after Christmas. I guess that's a good thing, seen as I went back for seconds at both the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day feasts. I also dug into the pies available, one of them cheesecake, rolls, wine and cinnamon rolls. So coming out of the thrust of the holidays with the weight intact is fine. Putting in 15 miles the afternoon of Christmas Eve probably put the calories in the minus column, if only for a few hours.

My run for the afternoon of Christmas Eve was supposed to be 18 miles in preparation for the Runtex 20-miler Jan. 8. Twenty-to-thirty mph winds became a variable that cut back on the miles to 15. I ran for three hours which was the main goal so that was accomplished.

Today's run was at the Bowie H.S. track. I chose six miles of warm up, 400-meter sprints, with a 400-meter jog inbetween and a half-mile cool down. Total runtime was 1:06:48. Splits: 1:57, 2:34, 2:04, 3:30, 1:58, 2:40, 1:55, 3:09, 1:54, 2:44, 1:56, 2:45, 1:55, 3:01, 1:59, 3:02, 1:53, 2:45, 1:51, 3:12, 1:56 + .5 mile cool down.

For Christmas, I received a new Timex Ironman Triathlon watch with 100-lap memory. My old Triathlon watch could only record eight laps which made recording workouts somewhat difficult. It required two button presses rather than the single button with the new one. The old one was purchased in the 1980s so it lasted past its time.

Half of the features are unnecessary. All I need is an easy way to split the lap times, a large display, and for it to keep track of the overall time. I'll probably need the 100-meter water proofing next year if I do some swimming, but that's it. I could have asked for one with the heart rate monitor but constant feedback or downloading capability isn't that important at this stage. My current HRM with the finger press works just fine to check when I'm past my workout zone.

Breaking in new shoes were also in order for this workout. A new pair of Asics GT-2100 felt great until about mile four. Something was irritating in the right arch. My old pair of New Balance required a snip of a stitch on the left toe so I now expect that sort of thing. These shoes, outside of the arch, felt great and breath more with the mesh. My NB pair is now retired to the smaller runs. They're still fine with a pair of Triad orthotics to replace the lost cushioning.

I'm shooting for 154 pounds at the time of the Freescale Marathon. More weight will be ok, if the fat percentage comes down. The last few days it's been dropping so maybe there's a tradeoff between fat and muscle as the new schedule including weights, whey protein and creatine play into it. I would like to be there before the Jan. 8, Runtex 20-miler but it may involve too much dieting before then. It may happen though if I back off of the holiday leftovers.

tags: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm, Cheeeesecake. That can cause havoc with the weight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home