Homemade Energy Drink

Just as I learned that there are better, cheaper forms of sodium and electrolyte replacements than what can be found in a gel or gu, I've now discovered the same thing with energy drinks. I'm not talking about the ADES, namely Accelerade, Gatorade and Powerade. I still believe in Accelerade with it's 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein for a post cardio workout or race. No, what I think is a rip off are the energy drinks like Red Bull, Full Throttle and alike. Don't get me wrong. They work very well. One of my coworker's boyfriend works for one of the energy drink companies and she brings in samples. They get me through the day just fine allowing me to do two or three days worth of work in one. No, they work. It's just that they cost too much. You have to pay $2.99 per drink and I think that's taking advantage of the hype.

Well today we ran out of the free stock of energy drinks at the office. I've been mixing them with creatine, glutamine and whey protein as a shooter before and after a lifting workout. Today, for some reason I refused to pay the $2.99 per can of energy so I decided to make my own.

  1. 1 12 oz. can Diet Big Red (30 mg sodium, 38 mg caffeine) $.69
  2. 1 .3 oz packet of Emergen-C Immune Defense fizzy drink mix (6g Sugar, 1,000 mg Vit C, other) $.18
  3. 1 tspn Creatine Monohydrate $.17
  4. 200 mg caffeine $.11
  5. 1 scoop (24 g) Designer Whey protein Strawberry (1 g fat, 2 g Sugar, Protein 18 g + Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium, and others.) $.40

Great taste, less sugar, more of the good stuff my body needed and a lot cheaper. Total cost was $1.55 for all of the ingredients. And at 238 mg caffeine, it contains more than most of the energy drink products on the market.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home