Austin Triathlon Race Report

Things didn't look good around 5:00 p.m. last night. The skies opened up, much like they did back on Memorial Day with the CapTexTri. That triathlon got cancelled and it was hard to believe this one was also in jeopardy of doing the same. The difference was the amount of rain. While there were strong showers they were brief, and while it would make for a muddy tri, at least it would go on. Luckily, I had wrapped the handlebars and seat.

The Austin Triathlon was using the same real estate as the CapTexTri. So it felt weird walking up to body marking this morning wondering if the weather would rob me of my first Olympic triathlon. It's a little strange doing my first triathlon of the season in September. I thought I would've been more excited but I was mellow about the whole thing. It could have been from lack of sleep, which was a first for any event. Normally, it'll take a while to fall asleep but eventually I do. Last night I didn't. Gathering my stuff felt like I was going through the motions. This held true all the way until the countdown to the swim wave start.

The expo had substance. The Hyatt Regency provided the venue and much of the same venders were there. The Austin Triathlon hit all the bases with the giveaways; a nice TYR bag, something to read (Triathlete Magazine), something to eat (Clif bar) along with some pretty good coupons and a great water bottle. Accelerade was the drink of choice at this race so I was extremely pleased. Oscar from Accelerade gave me a couple of temp tattoos so I ended up placing them on my upper arms above where my race number would eventually be inked. The only thing that was out of place was the color of my swim cap....BRIGHT PINK. I didn't get that one. I did buy a Bento Box for my gels, along with the Easy laces and some Clif Shots.

Last night at about 8:00 p.m. I checked the Austin Triathlon Web site and they had posted the official water temperature for the race. With the increased release from the dam, the water temp had dropped from 82 to 78 degrees, making the race wetsuit legal. I had a problem though. Both of my wetsuits were giving my shoulder problems. The constant pushing of the rubber material was causing shoulder tendonitis. I decide to chop the sleeves. After marking the cut lines, mirroring my Speedo tri-suit's lines, I took the scissors to the suit, knowing that if I messed up, that maybe the sleeves and legs could be used as arm and leg warmers on a cold, winter day's ride. The suit went back together just fine and my shoulders were free to move around which would free up my stroke.

Just before the swim start the officials announced a course change. Because of water currents, the course was adjusted from one bridge to another. No biggie. As I listened to Shawn Colvin sing the national anthem, and what an awesome job she did, there was a black swan at the end of the pier we were about to jump off of. I didn't know what to make of this. Was this a good omen? Was it bad? Did it not matter in the least?

It was our turn. Those that wore the pink swim caps. The last men in the water. There was supposed to be three minutes in between waves but it felt like 30 seconds. There was really no time to jocky for position. I put my head down in the water and started for the first buoy. The washing machine began with legs and arms hitting me from both sides. I looked up to try and move a little left. Systems check returned check on the wetsuit. It was working great. Check on the clear goggles. These were much better than my dark pair I'd worn many triathlons before. Check on the pink swim cap. Still there.

Following us oldtimers were the women's open wave, meaning the really, really fast women. I knew a few would come through our group, cutting like butter. Sure enough, a couple swam over me and kept going towards the first turnaround buoy. They were hauling ass. I tried to get behind and follow but they were motoring too darn fast. I settled back into my pace and kept going. Just after the second turn, oh maybe 700 meters into the swim I caught a large guy from the wave ahead of ours. A green capper. I accidentally swam up from behind and when he rolled and I kicked, I felt my left hamstring knot up. ARGH! Not now, I was just getting the feel of this swim. Relax. Relax the muscle. Tighter. Ouch. Ouch. OUCH!. The muscle finally gave a little and I started back into the stroke. I was a good thing I decided on the wetsuit so if the leg was going to be non-productive and I'd have to drag it, at least it'd float. And that's precisely what happened for the next 300 meters. It was a good thing the arms felt good. By the time I reached the last buoy the hamstring had calmed down enough to get some kick from the legs. I tried to make up for lost time and cranked it up a bit.

Looking back on it I don't know where that cramp came from. I mean it was early in the race, I'd taken in plenty of Thermolytes and salts before the race knowing it'd be hot and humid. The only thing I can figure out was the placing the leg in such a awkward position maybe caused it.

Transition one went well. I got everything and got on the road. However, in the first five minutes the handlebars had a problem. They weren't just loose, the bar ends would've dropped into the wheel if I didn't hold them up. CRAP!. I thought it wouldn't be so bad as I had planned to hold on for the entire ride anyway. The problem came with every bump or pothole in the road. They caused the allen bolts to come a little looser each time. I debated whether to go back to the bike mechanic, go back and get my allen wrench, stop on the side of the road and hope someone stops to help or throws an allen wrench my way.

The bike was getting hard to steer. Instead of only moving vertically, the bars were now moving horizontally and throughout 3D space. I debated what would happen if the bolts fell to the pavement. I knew what would happen. I'd hit the pavement so hard it'd make my wetsuit rubbed-raw area look like a mosquito bite. By the third lap I decided to stop and find something that I could use to brace the bars. Nothing. lesson learned. Carry the bloody allen wrench in the bag. ARGH! I hopped back on the bike and decided to make do for the remainder of the last lap. A couple of people said, "That ain't right" while looking at my situation. Somehow, I managed to get to the bike dismount line in one piece.

I was never so glad to get to T2 and then start the run. All of the emotions on the swim and bike legs exhausted my brain. I sat there in front of my transition equipment not knowing if I had everything. My heart rate was around 160 so I let it subside and drank some NUUN and Accelerade. Race number check, shoes, socks, check, hat, shades, check. Then get your butt in gear!

Given everything that had already happened, I decided the run would be uneventful. Run with a heart rate below 159 and enjoy the race and that's what I did. I stayed at about 153 and the legs felt surprisingly good, despite the earlier hamstring cramp. I could still feel the hamstring wasn't 100% so I just backed off of it a bit. It was just so humid (97%) and 75 degrees that I was losing a lot of fluids. Each water stop I grabbed one or two cups for the head. Some cold water sponges and the kids with cold water squirt guns were a big help.

The race ended with a little kick, cross over the timing mats and I was done. Put this to bed. Nothing left to do but grab a Fat Tire, some Accelerade and listen to the band on stage, while cheering some of the last few folks to cross the finish line. That's one of the great things about this triathlon. The spectators were given close access to the athletes and with three loops on the bike and two on the run, spectators could see all of the action.

Jack and Adam's really outdid themselves with this one. While I had my own problems, J&A did everything right, as did the volunteers. There wasn't anything lacking.

The end time was 3:06:35. I wanted to get under three hours and probably could have, not for the cramp and stopping on the bike, but it didn't matter. Next up, the Longhorn Half Ironman in about a month.

photos

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home