When The Temperature + Humidity = 125+

Those of you that have read my blog know that I promote the products I use but I'm not a zealot about it. I use what I use because I've tried it, it worked, and it was at the right price. Once I found something that worked I stuck with it until something better came along. The something better last year was running in the wee hours of the morning rather than in the evening, although that's not a product. What's changed this year is I realized I still have to supplement my nutrition even in the wee hours of the morning. Take this morning, weather-wise it was 76 °F and 87% humidity and when both numbers add up to over 125, I need something or I'm going to get a headache as a result of depleted electrolytes. Not only a headache but I'll feel like crap for six-to-eight hours afterwards. I've tried replenishing with water and it works but it takes the six-to-eight hours and there's no guarantee that I won't get a headache.

I've experimented with various products and the cocktail that works best for me is a combination of Thermolytes, NUUN and Accelerade. On the trail I can get water so that's where the Thermolytes and NUUN work well. Then after the run I down a full bottle of the pre-mixed Accelerade. With this cocktail mixture I have yet to experience a dehydration headache or any headache at all post workout.

So I've been asking the people I run with whether or not they need a NUUN tablet or some Accelerade. They always come back with, "That's ok, I'm good with water." Like I said, I'm not a zealot but I'll ask a couple more times on other runs in case they were just being nice the first time. Last week I got one my running buddies a NUUN tablet after a 95-degree run. "Wow, I thought you were nuts. This really works." Yesterday, on evening run with a friend I had an extra bottle of Accelerade. "This isn't bad. Not as sweet as the others. I don't think there's a peach drink alternative out there." Not that I know of either. I think of all the people running this time of year and drinking nothing but water. For some I'm sure water is enough, but I suspect the majority need more than water to recover from the increased heat and humidity or just from the amount of exertion.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home