Time Trial Tuesday

It was hotter than hell last night for the Run-Far time trial. Actually it was under a 100 degrees which is good for this time of year and hovering around 91, with 55% humidity and winds around 8 mph. If I had waited until 6:45, they calmed down to 0. It still felt really hot out there and it seemed a constant stream of water was pouring off my body.

Good news though as I reached a new PR on the course getting up to an average speed of 21.1 mph. I was really excited last month getting past the 20 mph barrier and now I think I'm just as excited for 21 mph given the heat and wind. I also had some rear derailleur problems. I couldn't get in the upper three sprockets using either chain ring so my cadence suffered at times on the hills. There was also some chain skipping. It's time to replace it. Frankenbike, June 30 is on the calendar for some shopping!

Right off the bat a couple in matching team kits with solid disc wheels passed me on the first descent. It was sort of demoralizing as I felt like I was standing still. However, looking at the results today he came in 3rd overall with an average speed of 27.9 mph and she came in 1st in her division with an average speed of 24.1. At the end of the first half of the course two younger males passed at a pretty good clip. I kept within five bike lengths of the second guy and as we approached the turn where the wind would be at our backs he seemed to have run out of gas. I passed and to my surprise the other guy that had passed earlier was in reach. He too ran out of gas. We were pedaling about 22 - 23 mph at this point with a couple of hills coming up. As hills aren't my strong point and the derailleur wasn't on it's best behavior I didn't quite catch the first guy, crossing the timing mat right behind him by about five seconds.

Time: 22:47.9 (15 seconds better than last month) | Average speed: 21.1 mph

Raul from Run-Far mentioned they are going to two TTs next month.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home