A Danskin Morning

I noticed on the Runtex Web site Friday that the Danskin Women's-Only Triathlon was short some volunteers. I used the online form and signed up for the kayak, swim patrol. Scratch that, the run course. I got down to the volunteer tent about 6:30 am and the coordinator sent me to the kayak area. Crap, I'd worn shorts instead of a suit and brought no ziploc bags. After the horror stories of tipping kayaks from previous years and a matching of local lifeguards with a kayak captain the boats launched onto the course. I hesitated thinking they would run out of boats and I'd be sent over to the swim exit area but it didn't work out that way. There was one lifeguard and one kayak left. The director instructed us to head out. Let's just say the new pair of Brooks got sopping wet instantly. My butt, wet as well.

The lifeguard and myself had both heard most of the panicking occurs in the first 50 yards. We didn't want to be there so we eased the kayak down by the first buoy and between two kayaks. The self imposed guy in charge on the water quickly came over and pointed us toward the other side of the course. We got there and settled into the last open gap before the end of the swim course.

There was relatively little action for the first 30 minutes. Nobody needed to hold onto the kayak. We didn't need to get anybody back on course. Then it seemed like a whole wave of newbies were released into the water and at one time we had four swimmers holding on while paddling toward a fifth.

Outside of swimmers out of breath or anxious we had one woman with leg cramps. Pretty good for 3,500 swimmers. No tipped kayaks. No lost cell phone. Just a few soggy ones and fives.

It was a great way to spend a Sunday morning and also get psyched to start the half-ironman program tomorrow. This week will include getting a handle on the baseline numbers and measurements. Like last time I'm following the Triathlete Magazine HIM plan with my modifications, which means adding weight lifting, some xFit strength work and some yoga on the weekend.

I just saw on News 8 Austin where they had a great story on the triathlon and they got a shot of Justin and I moving to a swimmer and extending a noodle.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home