Little Adjustments

I'm in the third week of the half ironman program I've cooked up, using the Triathlete Magazine HIM program as a base. It's going pretty well except for the left knee. Even though the running at this point is real slow, there's something going on with the knee. It's like it needs to popped into place upon waking in the morning and if it doesn't get popped and then I run....well, it's uncomfortable. Getting on the bike seems to get it in alignment so I think I'll do a few miles on the trainer until everything gets into proper position. It's probably a better warmup than I've been doing anyway.

I read where a couple of friend's half ironmans imploded last weekend. From what they wrote or told me, it reinforces how negative thoughts can really pull the athlete down or how positive reinforcement can really elevate the athlete beyond their abilities. In both cases the athletes finished the race when they could've blown it off and raced another day.

I'm reading a lot of cycling materials, mostly from the web lately. Maybe it's the Tour that's about to start next week or that I'm obsessed with watts and my power output these days. "Jufre Pou, who weighs 147 pounds, averaged 388 watts for 32-minutes. His maximum 10-minute value was an astonishing 400 watts." This clip was taken from VeloNews. I've got a long way to go.

When the 2006 Ironman World Championships aired a few months ago I missed it. I was so mad turning on the TV and seeing the last two minutes I couldn't stand it. But, as luck would have it, I get to see it as it'll air again on Aug. 5 from 2:30 - 4:30 ET.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7/03/2007 10:04 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Sorry to hear about the implosions. I just wrote a post on mental training that you might find of interest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home