A Week in Chicago

  I just got back from Chicago attending the ISI World Recreational Team Ice Skating Championships for K. She came back with two first-place medals and one second. She did really well and was so calm about all of the events. She showed no pressure before each event. I wish I could learn to play it that cool.

I took my stretchy bands as I thought that may have been my only workout option. Come to find out I had plenty of options. First the hotel had an agreement with Bally Fitness as they didn't have any kind of weight room or exercise facility. It opened at 5:30 am and had everything I needed except a track and a pool. By the second or third day I found out that the skaters and their families were able to gain access to the natatorium across from the rink (see above image). It was nice and clean and nobody was using it except for a family of four in the non-lap lane area. One of the youngsters threw up in the pool just as I was leaving.

Although I didn't get much running in, I got a ton of walking done by checking out the Navy Pier, Millennium Park, South Lakeshore Blvd and a few other hot spots. Besides the cycling at Bally's I got a couple of hours worth on some rental bikes for pedaling down the lakefront. I also did a few hours of footbagging to get a little better with that (more on that later). So calorie-burn-wise I did pretty good. I endulged on some calorie-rich food and drink but heck, it was a vacation too. I had to try out the Giordano's deep dish pizza. Man, I could live on that two or three times a week. I'll get serious on the diet starting tomorrow with one month left to go until the Austin Tri (Olympic).

I'll try to link to some photos in the next couple of days. In the meantime I have to say that the people of Chicago were fabulous! They were courteous, sincerely warm and very helpful. The city was clean and it was amazing how much landscaping with flowers were everywhere, even down by the river. It had been 22 years since I'd been to Chicago and so much changed. I wasn't looking forward to going but I have to say I had a great time and wasn't at all disappointed.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home