Racing For The Cure

Sunday was the Komen Race for the Cure. Not a race planned for but put on my scheduled a couple months ago when I agreed to coach some co-workers and get them ready for the 5K. Many dropped the program during the eight weeks for various reasons, but three stayed in it and at least one ran Sunday to celebrate her training.

I decided to run it as well and put out an effort, even though it could have jeopardized my half marathon this coming weekend. Mainly due to a 9:14 per mile average for last year's 5K that needed to be sped up a bit I raced the race. I shot for 8:00-minute miles and came up with 7:40-minute miles. I think that could have been better if I didn't have to zig zag between 22,000 people at the start. The splits were something like 8:34, 8:04 and 7:04 for the last mile. The finishing time was 23:56.9.

I ended up 11th in my age group, right behind Mayor Will Wynn, although he was a minute faster. I was really impressed with Da Fish. The guy has run a couple of times in the last month and mainly been swimming. He put down an amazing 7:04 per mile effort with swimming as the main form of exercise. I tell ya, I'm really leaning towards the other cross training programs even though Dr. Noakes states to be a sprinter you need to sprint. Da Fish just proved you can be a swimmer and sprint.

I was talking to a co-worker after the race and she mentioned she's doing the Distance Challenge that I competed in last year. She asked, "Why didn't you sign up this year." I said, "Because of the bloody 10-miler they inserted that's run on a concrete toll road." What insanity. She then said that her shin splints got worse during that race. Doh! I told her what a perfect time to cross train and she said, Oh no, cross training will make me slower and my running guru said if I'm a runner, I need to run." I need to pass along the GoodHealth.com article I wrote on running surfaces and then introduce her to Da Fish.

tags: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11/14/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Ware Wendell said...

Tony,

Robyn and I have appreciated all of your guidance. We have learned a lot of lessons from you about conditioning and will continue to put them to use.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home