Ba-Da-Bing Ba-da-Boom Snowball

I haven't been keeping up with my daily workout post. In fact, I've barely been keeping track of the times and heart rates for later analysis in notes or on the computer. This week has been hectic with trying to get to sixty running miles and increased hours at work and filling in to coach another person's running class. You know the saying that starts a butterfly flaps it's wings in China which results in an eventual hurricane in Florida. So the butterfly flapped its wings, I didn't make my morning run and took Kayla to school. This gave me the feeling I was being flexible, helping out, and I knew I could get the 10-mile run in at noon or after work.

Fast forward to 4:30 in the afternoon. Ready for the run. Crap, it's 94 degrees outside. Thirty degrees over what I normally run in, although I ran all of last year in the afternoons or evenings. My sweat rate doubled, which was ok as I had plenty to hydrate with. The problem started to snowball. A change of time caused the workout in the heat, which caused a greater loss of fluids, minerals, ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, snowball. It didn't stop there. The late workout caused me to get about four hours of sleep which meant the snowball rolled into the next day.

I stopped in and talked to my fitness guru Pat. Just shootin' the s*&!^t who asked how many miles I was doing. Once I mentioned sixty for this week he went off into a diatribe on signs of overtraining. I wasn't listening whole-heartedly but some bells went off later. Actually, it wasn't little bells, it was little voice who said, "back off, you're not ready for 60 miles." It's the same little voice that wanted me to daily check Ebay or Craig's List first thing after I woke to see if their were any Zipp Z99 for cheap.

I told you Pawn Shop Bike is done. After the bar end shifters, it's done. Finito. Plus, we haven't fully tried out the Spinergy Rev X wheel.

You shouldn't ride that thing.

Why not?

Cause they call it the "Lawsuit Wheel".

What's up with that?

Apparently, this dude was just riding along, his hand goes into the wheel, and ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, three fingers are chopped off. Instant lawsuit. You're a keyboard jockey. You can't afford to be missing fingers.

I don't think that's how it went. For one, hands just don't go into the rear wheel. Nevermind, you've hijacked my blog. I'm riding that wheel, which means you're riding that wheel. We'll go fast. You'll see. Pawn Shop Bike is done after I get the other bar-end shifter installed tonight.

So anyway, I started comparing my lethargy with what Guru Pat said. He did mention lethargy. Dang! I wore the knee brace all week, except for coaching sessions. It's not good for the coach to wear a knee brace. My calves were in pain all week. Dang, two from Guru Pat's list! Not enthused about working out. That's number three from the list.

So in the end, even with a one-hour Swedish massage in the middle of the week, I've recognized that I need to insert a recovery week come Monday. My knee needs some easy days, my calves definitely need some easy days or they're going to split wide open, and my head needs some easy days. One of these bad boys needs some rest as well. 1. Piriformis or 2. Gemellus Superior or 3. Obturator Internus or 4. Gemellus Inferior or 5. Obturator Externus or 6. Quadratus Femoris. One of them hurts like hell when I do my morning crunches so they're out for the rest of the week and next. I can do the crunches with a weight belt but something else may be stressing.

One cool thing coming out of this week has been the heart rate in the 120s. when I started base building my slowest run was always in the 130s. today my hert rate kept dipping into the 120s and stayed there for most of the ten miles ths morning. That's also with no cool front and the usual high humidity and temps in the seveties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home