Dilloman Triathlon - Race Report

This one definitely hurt more. The only goal going into this one was to increase the pace. Last week I wasn't tired or sore afterwards. A little out of breath at the end but I took that as a sign I should have pushed myself. I wasn't happy with last week's results. I mean I always appreciate finishing and not coming in last, but I wanted to do better. I hadn't prepared with any speed work this summer but still felt, in the back of my mind, I should've done better. Today , I did finishing 5th in my age group.

Due to global warming and the hottest August in Austin on record, the lake was very low. So low the transition area was a quarter of a mile from the swim exit. This meant we were to run over gravel uphill from the water to get to our bike. Luckily, I brought two pairs of shoes and ditched the idea of running in flip-flops. A shoe transition area was created for us to exit the water, jog barefoot over the sand, put on our shoes and make our way .25 mile uphill to the transition.

Oh, and also due to the low lake levels, we had to enter the water at the exit and swim 60 yards to the start. Once everyone arrived, one of the triathletes belted out a superb National Anthem as the sun was rising and that set the tone for a great day.

I was again in the last wave so I got to see quite a variety of freestyle variations. My wave start was fairly typical with arms thrashing about legs kicking ribs until informal swim lanes were created. Once the lanes were created, the swim was uneventful until a woman from an earlier wave met head-to-head with myself and the legs of another guy in my wave. We all paused asked if everyone was ok, got our bearings and went on with the swim. Even with all this I can say that today I enjoy the swim over the other two events. It's also my most improved event, even over running.

By the time I got close to exiting the swim, I saw black and green caps so I felt good about the pace. Maybe a little slower than last week, but it was a longer swim and I didn't want to go anaerobic. The exit was precarious as we climbed rocks to get out with the help of volunteers. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

I ran over to my shoes and threw them on, sand and all and ran up towards the transition area. Some athletes were already walking at this time. I had lucked out as the way they opened the transition area, the gates opened close to my bike. I toweled as much sand as I could get off, strapped the helmet on, grabbed the bike and ran for the exit. A brief jog over a rocky path and we mounted onto pavement.

One of my weaknesses last week was the cycling event. I just didn't have any power built into the legs. My first climb was good but the second hill was where I got passed by many. This week I planned to put more energy into the bike and if nothing was left for the run, so be it. This week 's course had more rolling hills. I saw an increase in speed on the downhill, reaching 39 mph at one point. However, with every great downhill, there's a bitchin uphill. I felt this one in my gluteus maximus. I felt it. It hurt. I cussed it. I climbed and passed people. Not just the first loop but the second as well. The bike hurt this time. It also hurt more as I forgot a water bottle. Doh!

The average speed was 3 mph slower than last week. Two things played into this as there were more rolling hills this week. Also, on two downhill sections, all of the momentum was lost as an immediate right turn was performed on the decent. My average speed dropped only 1.2 mph which fits with a percieved increase of effort.

By the time I got to the run, the sun was out and it was blazing. The cool front that came through Austin last week was entirely gone. The heat and humidity of the summer was back. I grabbed a glass of water and one of Gatorade from the aide station to get a little more hydrated. It helped a little and I couldn't take too much into the stomach as it would've sloshed around. I felt a little more tired than last week but good to get to the run. It seems every time I get off the bike for the run, it's a mystery which muscles will be ready. Last week the calves were great and the hips and quads were stiff. This week it was the opposite.

I had grabbed the pair of Nike Free this morning thinking they'd be great on the asphalt. Argh! We weren't running on asphalt today. It was a mixture of rocks, gravel, mowed brush, dirt and grass. A really off-road run. While I didn't have the support I needed in the shoe, it was lighter. I could feel what the bike had taken out of me. Not having my water bottle had hurt as well. My stomach was starting to ache. I tried to disassociate by using the Peter Reid method of counting to 20, over and over again. It seemed to work.

At the 2.0 mile marker I came across a 67 year old gentleman who looked pretty strong. I complimented him on his fitness and he said this one may be the last. He may retire. I told him he looked like he still had a half-ironman in him and it would be a shame to stop now. I wished him well and went on. I found a burst of energy and picked up the pace until the finish line. What were weak legs now found some energy. 1:42:44.5

Race Results

Today was my Dad's birthday. It's been six years since he passed and this race was for him. I thought about him looking down on me during the swim and maybe he was there to make that part go really well. Who knows, it could have been him that I passed and spoke to at mile 2.0 of the run. Either way, I gave it a little more gas today and I'm going to feel it tomorrow.

This was the last triathlon race of the season for me. Next year looks promising as new events are going to appear in Austin, including a half-ironman-distance race. I've enjoyed every minute of this year's races and will be back next for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home