Meet b.O.b., Bucket O' Bolts

After completing Pawn Shop Bike, I realized I was going to need another bike as a commuter and for the trainer. Building PSB left quite a few parts on the garage floor and I thought they would make a fine beater bike. I put $10 into an old Schwinn le Tour Chicago 4130 Chromoly frame and $16 into the Shimano single speed 16T sprocket. Ah, and $4.50 into some old-school black cloth tape. All the rest came from spare parts or were gifts.

I tried to keep the styling in the "messenger bike" style, even though it gears with a freewheel and not with a fixed gear. I did put one break in the front and after this morning's commute (14.84 miles), I'll be putting a back brake on as well. People with one front brake must only ride on flat roads. I hit my first downhill this morning and quickly went through the used pads. My next hill wore the front part of my old road shoe through the leather. I was screaming all the way down the hill, not able to stop approaching the cross street, praying an 18-wheeler wasn't coming across the intersection. Luckily it wasn't and luckily I was able to make a fast right turn. I then detoured to the nearest bike shop to get some more brake pads.

tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home