Cycling Home from Work

The route from work towards home took 12.41 miles. Not much, but with the hills thrown in, it was a exhaustive workout. It was pretty clear on the trails and on the freeay feeder, except for one stretch of a quarter-mile of Mopac Expressway. I had the three-foot emergency lane to myself, but cars were zigging and zagging at 70mph. One little tag from behind, even at 20mph could have sent me over the edge into the abiss of the Barton Springs Greenbelt, 180 feet below. Did I get a rush out of it? Yes. Would I do it again? Probably.

I've seen countless cyclists traveling the same route and thought they were crazy. Yet, it's the only pass through to the South Austin, unless one wants to tackle an emense uphill and three miles of diversion to the east. This route is not for the faint-of-heart. It's also not for me when I'm in la la land. Suburbans will mow me down in a heartbeat, yet there's something to say about getting to and from work on a HPV. Friday I didn't become Suburban bumper meat, I instead had a great workout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home