Aero Bar Modification

Taking the night off and recovering from the Capitol 10,000, and having an extra hour with daylight savings time, I decided to work on the bike. Yesterday, I fabricated some extensions to the aero bars. I started with some electrical conduit measuring .72 of an inch that would fit inside the bar. I then dipped the bars into a can of rubber paint with a couple of coats and let it dry overnight. Today I wrapped the extensions in some left over handle bar tape which with the rubber, made a very nice cushiony feel. I cleaned up the wrapping with some black electrical tape.

Since the bars looked and felt so good, I decided to clean the bike up a bit. I hadn't done so since I bought it. It cleaned up nice. It looks much more expensive than the $69 I paid for it.

I reworked the brakes and the back wheel fit. It now has come together and rides like it's supposed to. No rubbing of the brake pads as the wheels are true. The brakes actually stop the bike without coasting to a stop. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, it finally feels like the old Trek I sold while I was under a momentary lapse of reason, thinking I no longer needed a road bike.

The bike, in it's current condition made me feel better for passing up the Bicycle Sport Shop's three day sale and the sweet $1200 tri-bike that had my name on it. I walked out of there with just a $2.99 water bottle cage. Ha! If I get smoked on the bike leg of the CapTexTri I may feel different, but for now, it's a sweet ride for the price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home