Feeling Hot Hot Hot

We've been under a high pressure system for what seems like weeks now. I've tried to run in the mornings when it's cooler but it's just so humid. I forgot the woman I got this from but she said she wouldn't run when the temperature and humidity numbers summed were over 125. So if the temperature is 90 and the humidity is 36% she's at the point where she won't run. Her point was that once it got to that point, the body took too long to recover. Experimenting with this I find it's true for me as well.

The morning weather has seen temps in the high 70s with humidity in the 80% range. This combines for a total of 150 and clearly over the 125 threshold. I've included a few morning runs but the afternoon runs, even with temps at 100 degrees, are more comfortable. The humidity is around 17% and with a temp of 100, the combined total is below the 125 threshold. Comfortable, given I have electrolyte tablets with me, sunscreen, run at an easy pace and then cool off in Barton Springs or with the outdoor, cool water shower at the end of the trail.

I took the fixxie into work with me yesterday. At lunch I rode down to Mellow Johnny's, Lance Armstrong's new bike shop at 4th and Nueces. I expected all the merchandise to be expensive but was pleasantly surprised that their were ranges of prices. Yeah, you could spend $50 for a pair of gloves but I found a pair of Trek gloves for $12 that were just fine. Looking at the bikes the same range applied. There were entry-level Treks for around $700 while a Pinarello Prince for $8500 sat right next to it. They provide free showers for commuters and a coffee shop at the back of the shop.There are so many bike shops in Austin I don't know how they can all survive but I hope Mellow Johnny's is around for a long time to come.

Bad news for Da Fish. I saw him limping down the hall yesterday. It seems the same injury to his knee he felt while running six months ago, happened again while he was cycling the other day. He may be sidelined for some time. he said he's just going to swim for the next few weeks. I think he needs to get it scanned to see if he has a tear or worse and then get it fixed or rehabbed.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home