Last Four Weeks to CapTexTri

The workout schedule is shifting again with four weeks left before the Olympic-distance CapTexTri. Although I'm psyched to do the xFit workouts with the rest of the gang, I can't seem to stay on course as other tri-workouts come first, especially if the weather's nice. And the weather has been great!

This morning I decided to check out Barton Springs pool to see if I could handle the 68-degree, spring-fed water and how it would work out driving to an early morning swim. Absolutely awesome!!! I had read stories of the regulars who swim through the winter at the pool and became a little anxious over whether others would look at me weird with my wetsuit. About half of the swimmers had wetsuits on this morning so no worries.

The water was definitely crisp. It took my breath away getting in but after a couple of minutes I lost the thought of how cold it was and got into a good rhythm. Before I new it, I had reached the end of the 1,000-foot long pool and turned around. Having no lane lines and being 125 feet wide, the pool mimics what it will be like the day of the race, except that there will be something like 200 more athletes within 20 yards of me. So even if there was one swimmer per 200 feet I could still get an idea and had to do some gopher-head bobbing as to not run head into someone else.

The pool was more crowded than I thought it would be. I mean 68-degree water at 6:30 in the morning? It could easily have been half triathletes getting ready for the season. Regardless of the weather or the number of people, this is where i'll be every Tuesday and Thursday mornings until the race. It makes for a very nice way to wake up and get charged for the day.

The challenge for these last four weeks will be to increase the intensity and number of bike/run miles while at the same time increasing the swim miles.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4/28/2007 12:58 PM, Blogger LoneStarCrank said...

Talk about a way to wake you up in the morning. It is a shock to the system... but man it makes you feel good for the rest of the day. That place is magic! Now if some of that magic would just rub off on my stroke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home