Here Comes The Heat

If you're into endurance sports you MUST see the film Running on the Sun. It documents the running of the most bad-ass ultramarathon on the planet. OK, so running in Death Valley should be enough. No, they did more. They ran in Death Valley in July, for 135 miles in 120° heat, and over three mountain ranges. Damn!

I was totally blown away by the movie and its participants. I guess I've been looking for someone who participates in one of the endurance events to share an epiphany or two why they do it. I've heard plenty of reasons that were macho, testosterone-based reasons or reasons that were purely emotional. There are many reasons why people do it and the reasons vary for each individual. I'm looking for the reason I'd lock onto. I've come to the conclusion that words won't do it justice or describe it in any way. In fact, it'll only detract from its purity. I'm almost locked in on it and think it related to a frequency/vibration phenomenon. No words but actions.

If you're sqeemish about blistered feet, you may want to have your finger on the fast-forward button of the remote when watching the movie. there are several times when it gets sort of disgusting. Speaking of which, ever since the Kahuna fell off the cliff in the pre-race of Xterra, he's been blogging about athlete's feet. Not athlete's foot, the nasty stuff, but photos of athlete's feet. He just finished conducting the firt Feet Olympics from which people sent photos of their feet to him for judging. Anyway, the whole thing's chronicled on his site. To get the whole story you'll have to listen to back issues of the Kahuna and Iron Wil's podcasts.

I think I've seen the last of the really cool days for awhile. The temperature is starting to creep back up in time for July 4th. I traded a morning run for the evening yesterday, as I had to take the car in for repairs. It wasn't so bad with the breeze and low humidity. The six miles felt very comfortable on the track. Inserted the core, yoga and resistance back into the program for this week, as well as my supplements. I've also added more calories to the diet.

tags: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

O.M.G. I was addicted to this movie! It's kind of what launched me into endurance sport - I was all set to try to run this race... ran a few marathons and decided that was plenty far to go in one hop. I am amazed the human body can do five of those suckers in a row... totally amazed. You're incredible, Tony.

PS: Chris Kostman (I've just talked to him on the phone once to tell him how much I loved when he said, "...it's only pain, it's only suffering, it's not going to kill you. And if it's not going to kill you, what's the big deal?" Ahhhhhh!!! How awesome is that!???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home