Spongy Tires But No Blowout

I. Could. Not. Wait. For my bike ride this evening. With rain expected the next few days and the disastrous two blown tubes the other day, I was ready to get back on the bike and recover some mojo. I reworked the mess of a mount of my bike computer, gathered my tools and put them in my new seat bag, and pedaled out for Mopac Expressway. Today's goals were to cycle the time trial route that Run-Far is putting on monthly and also to stay on the bike for some time, say 60-90 minutes. Oh, and not to blow a tube. I left the tires at 60 psi, and a little spongy, just ot get out there and complete a ride. I'll experiement in the garage with the pressure when it's 100 degrees outside or raining.

I crossed La Crosse Avenue and 30 seconds into the pedal push a female cyclist passed me up. I followed her a bit but didn't want to draft too close or immediately pass her again, so at times I coasted. I did this for a mile or two and then decided what the hell and hit the cranks when she slowed a bit. I wanted to see what I could do the eight-mile route, compared to the April Run-Far Time Trials. I lost a little bit but the route ahead was clear. I passed the half way mark and turned to go back to La Crosse. A couple of miles into the push a couple of riders passed but stayed close. I was able to stay with them and draft a little until the sixth or seventh mile. The final time was 25:30, which compared to the time trials puts me in the lower 75 percentile or 18.9 mph. Not bad, could have been better, but it was said that at the time trials the people were cruising faster for the start of the season, compared to last year. I'd say 29 mph for the first time trial of the season was cruising.

Cycling the Run-Far route brought up an idea for the next Tour de Cure survey; should I participate in the May Time Trails. That'll be next Thursday's question.

After finishing the route, I made my way over to the veloway and cycled three laps of 3.1 miles each. Easy does it miles at a low heart rate. Total miles for the day computed at 21.5. Average mph was 15.5 mph. Time Trial mph was 18.9. Getting the miles in without a blown tube...priceless.

Final note. There's plenty of time to donate to Tour de Cure if you're on the fence about it. Simply go to my Tour de Cure page and click on the red Donate button. One dollar, two dollars, all is fine and gets you in to particpate in the surveys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home