Bad Things Come in Threes

Many people believe bad luck comes in threes. I don't adhere to the belief, but recognize it when it happens. Yesterday's workout incorporated all three bad luck events in a span of three hours.

First, I was working from home and writing and glanced at the clock. It was 4:30. Crap! Only an hour to get in my interval miles at the track before sunset. I scurried to change, get my stuff and head to the track, knowing the workout would be cut short.

Number Two. Since I was running late, I cut the stretch and warmup short which then produced strain on the shins, the hips and the knees. I know better than to not warm up properly. The first mile came in at 8:38, so it was decent but painful. My muscles felt like they were detached from the bones and floating around under the skin.

Number Three. My head was elsewhere and not fousing on the run. I was still thinking about the clock. The muscle strain and head in the stratosphere could also have been attributed to the number of people at the track. Not the normal runners, but hundreds of Bowie High School students practicing various sports. It's training time for all the Spring sports; lacrosse, track, soccer, softball, and spring football. I couldn't stay in one lane. I had to dodge the hurdlers on one part of the track, the sprinters on another part of the track and the cross country girls on another. Meanwhile, there were students constantly crossing the track to get to the softball field, the soccer field or to the football field. I can't get angry, as I'm using their track and it's primarily there for their use. But the end result was there was not going to be consistent times or efforts.

I stopped the workout and called it a day, rather than force the muscles to re-attach themselves to the bones or dodge the hundreds of students. Bummed, I thought this would be a good time to change directions and get some good yoga time in. As my muscles were squirrelly it sounded good at the time.

I got home and Googled up some new yoga poses to work on the back. Everything felt good and I felt I had accomplished some flexibility gains in my body, plus flexibility in my schedule. I was going with the flow. Two hours later Number Four hit. Number Four? There's only supposed to be three bad luck items in succession. Obviously the new back poses really did a number and were in need of some work but it looks like I overworked a few.

So tomorrow, instead of getting freaky with 3M Half Marathon coming up this weekend, I'm going to step back and be a little more flexible; schedulewise as I'm stiff as a board. Today will be about the whirlpool and lossening up a bit. It'll also be about reworking the training schedule for the next few weeks as the Bowie High School track will not accommodate interval runs during the week in the afternoons.

Time to drop any thoughts of training for the night, chill, and Xbox some bad dudes to get some frustration out.

Song: Bad Things Lyrics

...But something out there’s messing with me
A strange dose of reality

I had some things I had to do today
I had some things my head got in the way
I thought a run might make it okay
I thought a run would take it all away

I can’t shake what’s hanging over me
I can’t shake it this brain freeze
Something out there’s messing with me
Bad things come in more than threes

Bad things bad things
I just wanna
Bad things, bad things
I wanna wanna
Bad things, bad things
Come on, I wanna
Bad things, bad things
I just wanna feel good
And I feel so bad...

tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home