Acelerade

Yesterday was also a test of Accelerade as a viable sports drink during the runs. There are two main discussions in the running world these days. First, the high mileage versus low mileage training discussion. Do runners, training for a marathon, have to put in the long miles in training. From Marshall Burt's posts, they don't. In my case, the knees and hips prevent me from doing multiple days of long miles. At least until the knees become acclimated to the stress and I don't know if I'd do it anyway, as research has shown there's no real benefit to the increased mileage other than feeling comfortable that one can complete that distance.

The second discussion in the runner's world is the use of gels and sports drinks before, during and after exercise. These two camps are broken down in those that believe protein extends the time until exhaustion, and those that believe that protein causes trouble during exercise. Again, research points to some interesting findings, some of which propagates into products like Acelerade and Enlive!.

I'm not one to blindly take a product's claim as gospel. In terms of running, training and nutrition, I've tried several things out over the last eight months. Some work and others don't or not as expected. You would think because people have been running for millions of years, this would be the one science where we knew exactly what happened before, during and after. How food interacted with the run and in what conditions a perfect runner makes. Not so by a long shot.

Given all the variables in exercise, nutrition, environemnt, not to mention our daily lives, it forces us put ourselves under the microsope. To test, to experiment with, to record changes and to constantly be learning what works and what doesn't. I can say without a doubt that the protein added to my sports drink helped with the Runtex 20-miler. I was able to extend the onset of fatigue past the 10-mile mark experienced in another race. Was that due to protein in the drink? Probably. Could it have been due to additional training between races? It could be. I know one thing though. Training yesterday with Acelerade caused no side stitches, cramps or any side effects that are said to come from adding protein to the sports drink.

Gatorade and Cytomax refute the beneficial claims of adding protein to sports drinks. I remember when Bill Gates wrote The Road Ahead and everyone laughed that it failed to include the Internet. Oooops! Amazon's listing for the book reads The Road Ahead : Completely Revised and Up-to-Date. Yeah, it now includes the Internet. So traditional sports drink makers are in a corner. If the makers add protein to the mix, it looks like they didn't see the Internet coming, so you then question they had it right in the first place. If they don't add protein to the mix, they refute what may be a valuable addition to runner's training and the care of their bodies, in order to save face.

Under my microscope I can now say that these things worked.

  • Less mileage - worked. I have not had an injury in the eight months of training.
  • Protein added to sports drink - worked. Extended my endurance without stomach cramps.
  • Glucosamine & MSM - worked. My creaky knees no longer make sounds when coming down the stairs and my knees have recuperated better after long or intense runs.
  • Asics GT 2100 shoes - worked. Once I customized the insoles these are great shoes.
  • Cross Training - worked. Allows me to maintain weight and conditioning without adding more stress to the knees and hips.

tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home