Keep Austin Weird 5K

It was hot, too hot to be running on Saturday at the Keep Austin Weird 5K. The temperature was 103 degrees and the heat index was at 108 degrees. Not only that, we had to wait 20Link minutes or so before the start while APD cleared Congress Ave. of traffic.

KAW5K organizers said they were going to cap the registration at 6,000. I don't think 6,000 made it out in the heat but I did see a few numbers around 5,300 so maybe it was a good turn out. Aug. 28 - The Austin American Statesman reported 3,500 runners.

The 78704 neighborhoods came out with their sprinklers and hosed everyone off during the race. Quite a nice gesture on their part. Businesses on Congress brought out cases of water and handed them out. Whole Foods donated more bananas than are in South America and there was plenty of cold water to go around.

I felt better during this race, compared to the one last month. No cramps or should pain and my pre-race ingestion of M&Ms , orange juice and honey seemed to work. It didn't upset my stomach. I carried an electrolite drink with me and only needed a little when my mouth got parched.

The race started uphill and continued that way until the mid-way mark. The second of the race was mostly downhill. Given the heat I didn't push it and backed off to a 10-minute mile pace. Some people were running like it was 60 degrees outside. I saw a couple in the South West Emergency Action Team (SWEAT) tent afterwards.

Race Results
Age Group
Place    Name     Age  Overall  Chip Time   Gun Time    Diff        Pace
31    Tony Mook   43   244      31:56.65    32:55.95    00:59.30   10:14/M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home